GPL Infectiousness

Trent Shipley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 21:57:18 -0700

Look, GPL is *designed* to keep me (and you) from enclosing  copywritten
material.  I can make a little money packaging GPL commodities but any effort
I make that extends or otherwise depends on a GPLed good is likely wasted in
economic terms.  My work is GPLed, if I distribute it the entities to whom I
distribute it have a right to source and to transfer that source under any
terms they like.

Greed may not be good, but it is necessary.

Arguably it is an economic *bad* when huge cultural or intelectual resources
are locked up for years, decades, or forever is the service of private gain.

What GPL does is to bar huge -- well significant -- amounts of cultural
capital for the purpose of private gain for decades, if not indefinitely.

True, if I can track back the entire chain of contributors to a GPLed
commodity then I can contract for each to supply his or her own contribution
on commercial terms.
	But in many cases this is not practical.  GPL is designed so that over time
getting a clear commercially viable contract for any significant GPL product
becomes virtually impossible thanks to the tangled web of contributions and
dependencies.

GPL is a lovely anarchist tool -- it is hardly surprising that it is hostile
to capitalism.

Unfortunately, if you want economic progress greed is a better engine than
mere pride, laziness, or impatience -- and altruism barely merits
consideration.