Converting a MS company to Linux

Steven plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 3 Oct 2002 08:19:31 -0700

<snip>
Feel free to replace me.  I actually tried setting up PHPWiki but my
stupid host doesn't have dba support compiled in so I ad to go to plan
b, twiki.  Thanks though.

Bryce Chidester
Network Administrator
CoBryce Communications
Bryce AT BryceCo DOT Net
http://www.bryceco.net
</snip>

Honestly, that is up to you and the rest of the group. I am more than
willing to help any way I can.

<snip>
All questions should go to plug as those are useful to the list as well as
useful for you to get a plethora of answers back.

-Derek
</snip>

I agree.

<snip>
I know that WikiWiki was suggested and while they are good, generally they
dont make for best documentation tool.

-Derek
</snip>

I agree. If there is another tool up for suggestion I would be more than
happy to install/host/help/etc.

<snip>
They (CFO/CEO/COO) dont care about step by step or how to, they can relate
to a case
study which points out clearly the problem and the solution.

-Derek
</snip>

I found the link below which has more of a comparison, case study (somewhat)
approach. (side note: I think MS has migrated Hotmail from all but a couple
of FreeBSD servers.)

http://web.cuug.ab.ca/~leblancj/nt_to_unix.html

However, a repository with step by step instruction would be more useful for
a sysadmin in understanding the feasible of such a move for their
environment. This would also prepare the sysadmin for any presentations and
interpretations needed to be given to the corporate execs.

Take care,
Steven Ellermann