Spam. [tool to automatically filter out most spam]

Bryan Andrews plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 02 Oct 2002 13:33:42 -0700

If you haven't seen SpamAssassin yet I suggest you'll take a look.

http://spamassassin.taint.org/

Very useful! Ever sense I set it up on my colo linux server I haven't
had any spam at all to any of my domains.  I just recently setup a
linux box with spam assassin to simply filter out spam and redirect it
to the real SMTP server at work.  From my experience it's enterprise
ready.

-Bryan

>>> bob@traxel.com 10/02/02 12:55PM >>>
At the risk of sounding like an AOL'er

ME TOO!

On Wed, 2 Oct 2002, technomage wrote:

> I would certainly like to have something like this.
> I take great pains to insure that my home box doesn't get used as a
relay
> (open or otherwise).
>
> could you send me the postfix and other configs for me to examine?
>
> Technomage
>
> On Wednesday 02 October 2002 07:39 am, you wrote:
> > At least the encryption part is already taken care of.
> > see:
> > http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2246.txt
> >
> > I block more spam by rejecting bad HELO and rejecting
> > on non-existant domains on the RHS of email addresses than
> > from all the RBL lists I use.
> >
> > I am *still* amazed at the sheer number of whacked
configurations
> > for mail servers I see based on rejects in my logs.
> >
> > If anyone is interested I can share snippets of my Postfix
> > configs and samples of the kinds of rejects I get.
> >
> > I have been holding off on SpamAssassin until I rebuild my
> > mail server with NetBSD.
> >
> > The whole spam thing is out of control on both sides
> > and I wish I could think of a sane way to deal with it.
> >
> > Anonymous email is still available.
> > Use Anonymous Remailers and chain.
> > Mixmaster makes this pretty painless and there are tools like
mailcrypt for
> > Emacs for getting it all going.
> > There are also Windows clients for the Remailer system so no one
gets left
> > out. The Remailer Ops ( which I was one of back in the day ) have
tools in
> > place to try to prevent spam and other abuses. Sooner or
> > later spammers will figure out how to circumvent them but it
hasn't
> > happened yet.
> >
> > HTH.
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 12:08:33AM -0400, George Toft wrote:
> > > Hi Bill,
> >
> > [snipped]
> >
> > > The problem is in the content of the e-mail.  This is much like
the
> > > highway.  We pay our licensing fee to the state (fee to the
ISP), and we
> > > load up our car and drive (send e-mail).  How can you tell that
the
> > > person in the car committed some crime (violated AUP)?  You
can't, until
> > > someone else complains.  Make the roads toll-roads, like
California's
> > > private highways (require SSL), and all you've done is slow
down the
> > > system.
> >
> > [snipped]
> >
> > > George

> > [snipped]

> > [snipped]

ID/Call

> --
> I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed,
or
> numbered!
> My life is my own - No. 6

"We're on the threshold of a whole new system. The time where
accountants decide what music people hear is coming to an
end. Accountants may be good at numbers, but they have terrible
taste
in music. I don't know how I'm going to get paid, but I'd rather go
out into the brave new world than live with dinosaurs that are far
too
big for their boots." - Keith Richards - Rolling Stones Guitarist