GPL Infectiousness

Robert Bushman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 12:57:06 -0700 (MST)

On Tue, 1 Oct 2002, William Lindley wrote:

> On 1 Oct 2002, Derek Neighbors wrote:
> > I disagree.  I can download libFoo that is GPL and link proprietary
> > software to it til my heart is content.  I only have problems if I try
> > to 'distribute' my application with it linked to libFoo.
>
> If I write a proprietary app that links to a function called FooBarBaz,
> how do I know whether there is a GPL FooBarBaz or something else called
> FooBarBaz.  Maybe I have a proprietary library providing FooBarBaz, but
> you're using a GPL'd one... who's to say you can't?

The courts. :)

"We're on the threshold of a whole new system. The time where
accountants decide what music people hear is coming to an
end. Accountants may be good at numbers, but they have terrible taste
in music. I don't know how I'm going to get paid, but I'd rather go
out into the brave new world than live with dinosaurs that are far too
big for their boots." - Keith Richards - Rolling Stones Guitarist