Win2k dual boot recovery help

Bart Garst plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 1 Oct 2002 11:34:15 -0700

Something else occurred to me. If you're getting a file not found error from
Windows, then your boot loader might not be the problem. Does it say which
file is missing? Is linux and Windows on the same drive? If they are did you
defrag the Windows partition before you made the linux partition?

Bart

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Alan
Dayley
Sent: Tuesday, October 01, 2002 10:05 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Win2k dual boot recovery help

One of my coworkers installed Red Hat 7.3 on another partition of a Windows
2000 system.  We installed GRUB in the master boot record (MBR) of the hard
drive and now only Linux will boot (Darn!).  Windows 2000 gives a file
missing error an will not boot when selected from the GRUB menu.

OK, I know if we boot with a Windows boot floppy and run "fdisk /mbr" this
will restore to MBR allowing Windows 2000 to boot but then Linux won't
boot.  Is there a way to do the "fdisk /mbr" and then get back to the Linux
boot too, without having to re-install Linux?

Alan "Not wanting to do it again"