GPL Infectiousness

Derek Neighbors plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
01 Oct 2002 08:04:27 -0700

--=-Mifp8kDrSuFaGfn0aust

> Not true - it also affects software which is linked
> but distributed separately.  Of course, since the
> GPL doesn't use click-wrap, this part probably wouldn't
> hold up in court.  But the intent, as stated by RMS,
> is to infect (using the technical, unemotional
> definition of infect).

I disagree.  I can download libFoo that is GPL and link proprietary
software to it til my heart is content.  I only have problems if I try
to 'distribute' my application with it linked to libFoo.

> Virility or infectiousness isn't a measure of whether
> the result is good or bad, it is a measure of how
> likely it is that the target will become a host for
> the agent if exposed.  If you call exposure linking

Yes my point was trying to say that the GPL is
viral/infectious/contagious etc, its just those are bad terms as
generally people have a connotation that they are 'bad'.

> frequently called "infectious" (though of course, in
> the case of Britney Spears, clearly that is the
> emotionally stigmatic form of infect, haha))

Bob come on admit it, you dont watch Britney's video's to hear the
infectious grooves, now do you. ;)

> So, the CSL is both proprietary and less infectious
> than the GPL, no?

Yes.  It gets more complicated than that though.  Which is worse the
common cold or the west nile virus?  One is easier to catch, but one far
more deadly.  Which is more viral?  Which more infectious?

> the world a better place.  But it *is* infectious (using
> the unemotional, technical definition of infect).

It is designed to ensure "freedom", by enforcing that those that use it
not restrict the rights of those that come after them.  I prefer not to
call it infectious or viral (at least admittedly) because it sounds like
something you wouldnt want.  Yet, I suppose most people want freedom.

=20
--=20
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise