e-mail on linux box

cliff rogers plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:16:36 -0800

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C296C7.3B9B5890

I have a Linux box that is my gateway to the internet. It seems to be =
working wonderful and my LAN is usable. My question is: Since I have =
gotten my box up and running I have been receiving a bunch of refused =
e-mail messages. Some are refused because of an improper destination =
address or no such address while others are refused by the destination =
computer because they have an executable file attached. I am wondering =
if somehow I have been infected in my Linux box and that it is using my =
e-mail account to send these out. I have run a couple of virus checks =
from Symantec, I have ZoneAlarm installed on my windows box, I have =
removed a virus called the "W32.Bugbear@mm" from my windows box. My =
Linux box is running ClarkConnect based on the Redhat 7.2 distro (or =
7.3). I am wondering if I have the mailserver running on it and if that =
is where all these are being sent from or if there is a log that can =
help me track this down and stop it before it gets worse. I am getting =
almost 2 returned e-mail messages for every legitimate message I =
receive. Any advice would be greatly appreciated as I am very much a =
newbie here. Happy Thanksgiving Everyone. Cliff Rogers

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C296C7.3B9B5890

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D4>I have a Linux box that is my gateway to the =
internet. It=20
seems to be working wonderful and my LAN is usable. My question is: =
Since I have=20
gotten my box up and running I have been receiving a bunch of refused =
e-mail=20
messages. Some are refused because of&nbsp;an improper destination =
address or no=20
such address while others are refused by the destination&nbsp;computer =
because=20
they have an executable file attached. I am wondering if somehow I have =
been=20
infected in my Linux box and that it is using my e-mail account to send =
these=20
out. I have run a couple of virus checks from Symantec, I have ZoneAlarm =

installed on my windows box, I have removed a virus called the =
"W32.Bugbear@mm"=20
from my windows box. My Linux box is running ClarkConnect based on the =
Redhat=20
7.2 distro (or 7.3). I am wondering if I have the mailserver running on =
it and=20
if that is where all these are being sent from or if there is a log that =
can=20
help me track this down and stop it before it gets worse. I am getting =
almost 2=20
returned e-mail&nbsp;messages for every legitimate message I receive. =
Any advice=20
would be greatly appreciated as I am very much a newbie here. Happy =
Thanksgiving=20
Everyone. Cliff Rogers</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_001E_01C296C7.3B9B5890--