How do you setup a raid 5 server?

tickticker plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 21 Nov 2002 22:03:57 -0700

Hi everyone,

I bought a decent server from a client and want to put linux on it.  It's=
 a=20
dual intel 1ghz, 1 gig ram, dual power supply, an ide drive and a SCSI RA=
ID=20
array (4 drives, 54 gig available in raid 5).

I've never had to do an install on a raid set before.

I wanna put mandrake on it ( it's my flavor of choice), and just haven't =
the=20
foggiest notion of how to go about installing this.  Knoppix saw the ide =
but=20
not the raid set.  started a mandrake install, and it has a heart attack =
when=20
it's loading and says something about destroying the data on a hard drive=
,=20
this is after i see the ide drive detect and load so i'm just assuming it=
's=20
the raid set that's making throw this hairy fit. =20

question:  what are the down and dirty steps to starting this setup, or d=
o you=20
know a great reference somewhere to help me do this? =20

I would really like to keep the raid card (adaptec 2100) and the drives i=
n=20
raid 5 configuration.  I will be sure to post my notes or a how to: when =
I am=20
successful.

Thanks,

anthony