server setup

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 20 Nov 2002 16:49:50 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, cliff rogers wrote:

> I am trying again to setup my linux server tonite. I have to NIC's that are same manufacturer, D-link DFE-530TX. Do I use the same driver for each one because when I go to test the driver for the 2nd card it gives me the error message insmod: a module named 8139too already exists. Please advise any help is greatly appreciated. Cliff

you should only have to modprobe it once.  However, in your modules.conf
file, have:
alias eth0 modulename
alias eth1 modulename

that way, when you do 'ifup eth0' the module will be loaded and when you
do 'ifup eth1' the kernel will see thats its loaded and use the same one
(assuming you bring the nic's up in that order of course.  If you do it
reverse, the same is true, though).

David

--
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."