Fw: Thank Our Military...

Wed, 20 Nov 2002 13:37:30 -0700 (MST)

Am 20. Nov, 2002 schw=E4tzte Phil Mattison so:

> Forgive me if I seem unpatriotic, but this looks pretty weird. If I was i=
> the Military (and I was once) I would not get all misty over an e-mail-li=
st
> of thousands of strangers "thanking" me for being in the all-volunteer
> service. Hmm... did I say "e-mail-list?" I don't think you have to be a
> bona-fide military organization to get a dot-mil domain. Am I wrong? Coul=

=2Eus DoD ( or similar ) decides who gets .mil.

The following page claims legitimacy and points out .gov also works.

http://www.defendamerica.mil/about.html

http://www.defendamerica.gov/

=2Egov is limited to .us gov't.

That makes it look pretty legitimate.

It could be that someone fed something into dns, but it's unlikely that the=
were able to put up that site and then break into both the .mil and .gov
root servers.

It appears that at least some of it was done by clueless marketing, though,
because the woman at the right of the thank you banner has her hair out of
regulation. Maybe marines have different regs, but I can't imagine them
being less strict than the army.

Note they have selections for non-.us countries.

ciao,

der.hans
--=20
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/    http://www.TOLISGroup.com/
#  "Life is pain, Highness! Anyone who says differently is selling somethin=
g."
#   -- Dread Pirate Roberts in The Princess Bride