checking install

Tony Wasson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 19:07:38 -0700

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

On Thu, Nov 14, 2002 at 04:00:20PM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> moin, moin,
>=20
> another vendor's restore mechanism appears to have changed perms on sever=
al
> binaries to 777. Not a good thing.
>=20
> Opportunity, however, to learn how to verify and fix an install.
>=20
> debsums will check to see if file contents have changed. Well, the md5sum=
 is
> still the same as only the perms have changed.
>=20
> There are more tools I'm not finding. I don't see anything in the man pag=
es
> for dpkg or apt-get. There might not be a tool to just check perms. I
> remember a couple of years ago when someone wanted to start logging what
> perms should be.
>=20
> Anyone know of a beast that'll check perms for debian?

I know of none that check perms as their sole function in life. There are
lots of host hardening tools, they'll probably flag the most blatant
problems. Several tools will audit SetUID programs.

I got excited when I found diagperm, but that didn't do it either...
Have you tried 'apt-get --reinstall world'? (heh heh)

Utilities that will do something similar:
1) fcheck - apt-gettable
2) sherpa -=20
<http://www.mirrors.wiretapped.net/security/host-security/sherpa/>

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8