Listserv, news server and IRC somewhat OT

technomage plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 12:30:56 -0700

I already have an irc server operational (I use UnrealIrcd-3.1.1).

if you need to borrow the fascilities, my 2 servers are available at
pcman.ath.cx and pretorian.ath.cx. hope these help in the interrim.

Technomage

On Friday 15 November 2002 07:47 am, you wrote:
> I have a friend that wants to have a moderated mailing list, a private
> newsgroup and the ability to host chats online with some employees all over
> the country.
>
> They have a T1 with some static IP addresses available and some old boxes,
> AMD 450, P233, that could easyly be loaded with linux. I've set up several
> apache web servers, but never majordomo or a news server. As to IRc, I
> don;t even have an idea of a program to look for to run on one of the above
> mentioned boxes.
>
> Oh, I forgot to mention, she wants this all operational by Monday at 4PM as
> she has already scheduled her people to be online and chating then. The
> mail topics will then be how to sign up for the list and how to access her
> news group.
>
> So as I see it , the options are to configure a box to run off their T1
> with the above mentioned services, or find third party solutions.
>
> I've found a sorce for the chat program, which I have installed on a server
> that I administer so that is no real problem, just reinstall on one of
> their boxes an hook up to their T1, but I'm stumped as to the listserve and
> news server. Are those services dificult to set up?
>
> Any ideas as to third party solutions also appreciated.
> Thanks
>
> Charlie

numbered!
My life is my own - No. 6