ftp directly to a device

David A. Sinck plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 15:02:45 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Daniel Montagnese on 11/14/2002 13:51 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ Thu Nov 14 14:22:07 MST 2002
\_
\_ Group:
\_
\_ I saw an interesting setup for anonymous ftp.  The only thing in the
\_ directory, /var/ftp, was the name of a device.  Any name and any password
\_ could be used to log in.  Any file "put" in the directory would be written
\_ to the device and the results of "ls" would still be what it was before.
\_ The "put" file would not be added to the "ls" list.  I wonder how that
\_ was done.   ????????

Keep in mind that if you control the server, you control everything.
It seems to me that clever use of named pipes and some standard ftp
settings and standard perms and you've pretty much got this.

David