SCC presentation

G.D.Thurman plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 14 Nov 2002 06:54:16 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, 13 Nov 2002, der.hans wrote:

> OK, we lost momentum on this.

It is I who has dropped the ball on this opportunity.
Thank You, Hans, for prodding us along.

Three people indicated an interest in helping.

   Matt Alexander <m@netpro.to>
   Ted Gould <ted@gould.cx>
   William Lindley <wlindley@wlindley.com>

Presentation dates:

   Monday PM, 02 December 2002
   Friday AM, 06 December 2002

Note:  The Monday date collides with the
December PLUG-developers meeting.

Times have yet to be decided, but I will get that
information soon.

A couple of weeks ago this class had Ken Colburn
(DataDoctors.com) as a guess presenter and he did
an excellent job.  His primary advice:  Learn about
the nuts and bolts of computing, but also learn how
to communicate effectively.  Colburn's presentation
was video taped by SCC and I suspect the Instructor
will want to do the same for the Linux presentation.
If presenters do not want to be video taped, then
we can turn the camera off.

The following potential presentation format assumes
one hour (60 minutes) of presentation time.

   15 minutes
   -- Brief overview of what is Unix.
   -- Brief history of Unix/BSD/Linux.
   -- Brief overview of what is Linux/GNU/FSF/Open Source.

   25 minutes
   -- Linux demonstration using Knoppix that
      includes a command-line demonstration.

   20 minutes
   -- Panel discussion that includes a
      question/answer session.

I am thinking of bringing my Introductory Java
class (all five or six of them) to the Monday,
02 December 2002, presentation.

Thanks for your time and efforts.

G.D.Thurman [CS/CIS Instructor]
Scottsdale Community College