RH 8.0 woes

DARREN BROWN plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 21:45:24 -0700

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C289CB.A4450BB0

How would you make a second root to place the new OS on?

What would you use to boot to one root or the other root?

Regards,
Darren
----- Original Message -----
From: Jonathan Claxton
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2002 9:17 PM
To: Phoenix Linux Users Group
Subject: Re: RH 8.0 woes

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Lynn David Newton wrote:

> Over the weekend I "upgraded" my system from RH 7.2 to
> 8.0. I can't remember, in 19 years of Unix system
> experience, seeing so many things break as a result of
> an upgrade. I won't bore the list with a litany of
> details; suffice it to say it's been an interesting
> weekend.

I been using RH since about 4.1 release and then one thing that I always
do is install it to another "root" partition rather doing the upgrade.

My setup is such that I have two root partitions that I install to. This
way, I don't ever do an upgrade. If there is a problem, I just go back to
the other root parition while I figure out what to do with the new install
and then do it or redo it. This way I don't ever touch the running root
patition until I switch over.

I guess me working with Mainframe disk volumes kinda steered me this way.
In the IBM mainframe world, when one does an ipl(boot), it's from a disk
volume. A disk volume is kinda like a disk partition in the PC world. Of
course, in the PC world, the boot is done from the first disk drive or a
floopy drive or from a CD drive or even a tape drive but it's the same
principle.
------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C289CB.A4450BB0

<HTML><BODY STYLE=3D"font:10pt verdana; border:none;"><DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <=
DIV>How would you make a second root to place the new OS on?</DIV> <DIV>&=
nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>What would you use to boot to one&nbsp;root or the other=
 root?</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <DIV>Regards,</DIV> <DIV=
>Darren</DIV> <BLOCKQUOTE style=3D"BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN=
-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px"> <D=
IV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial">----- Original Message -----</DIV> <DIV sty=
le=3D"BACKGROUND: #e4e4e4; COLOR: black; FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>From:</B> J=
onathan Claxton</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Sent:</B> Monday=
, November 11, 2002 9:17 PM</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>To:<=
/B> Phoenix Linux Users Group</DIV> <DIV style=3D"FONT: 10pt Arial"><B>Su=
bject:</B> Re: RH 8.0 woes</DIV> <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV> <P>On Mon, 11 Nov 2002=
, Lynn David Newton wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; Over the weekend I "upgra=
ded" my system from RH 7.2 to<BR>&gt; 8.0. I can't remember, in 19 years =
of Unix system<BR>&gt; experience, seeing so many things break as a resul=
t of<BR>&gt; an upgrade. I won't bore the list with a litany of<BR>&gt; d=
etails; suffice it to say it's been an interesting<BR>&gt; weekend.<BR>&g=
t; <BR><BR>I been using RH since about 4.1 release and then one thing tha=
t I always<BR>do is install it to another "root" partition rather doing t=
he upgrade. <BR><BR>My setup is such that I have two root partitions that=
 I install to. This<BR>way, I don't ever do an upgrade. If there is a pro=
blem, I just go back to<BR>the other root parition while I figure out wha=
t to do with the new install<BR>and then do it or redo it. This way I don=
't ever touch the running root<BR>patition until I switch over. <BR><BR>I=
 guess me working with Mainframe disk volumes kinda steered me this way.<=
BR>In the IBM mainframe world, when one does an ipl(boot), it's from a di=
sk<BR>volume. A disk volume is kinda like a disk partition in the PC worl=
d. Of<BR>course, in the PC world, the boot is done from the first disk dr=
ive or a<BR>floopy drive or from a CD drive or even a tape drive but it's=
 the same<BR>principle. </P></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_001_0000_01C289CB.A4450BB0--