RH 8.0 woes

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 13:38:17 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 11 Nov 2002, Lynn David Newton wrote:

> o GnomeICU (ICQ), which I use daily in work, fails with
>   a missing library error. Apparently there is no
>   workaround. (I telecommute for a company in Oregon.)
>   My boss is not pleased. He wants me to use Trillian,
>   but that runs only on Windows. I explained to him
>   that an instant messaging utility that runs only on a
>   virtual machine running in a window in the remotest
>   corner of my multiple workspace desktop is the same
>   as having no IM, and that email would be faster.

I just popped over to the gnomeicu site.  there is a new version that
supports the gnome 'notify' panel thingy.  kinda like the applet of yore,
I believe.   the bad news.   you have to use gnome2.2.   only beta/rc's
are released right now, dont know if redhat has rpms for them or not.
however, the new version does seem better :)  the bad news (didnt I just
say that?)  all you nautilus themes will be broken.  nautilus is moving
toward using the gnome themes instead of their own seperate ones.

> o In the process of resolving that one I discovered
>   that I had run the root file system to 100% full. I
>   am able to reduce it only to 96%. (Not to mention
>   that I need about four times as much memory.) I don't
>   know what new stuff got stuck in / that is eating up
>   my space.

one of the problems with newer distros (specifically the DE's).  I use
gentoo witha 3G / partition  (no seperate /usr partition).  always at
least 2G used (gnome2, kde3.1beta2, etc).

> o Apparently this new window manager does not provide a
>   way to add to or to customize menus. What foresight.

i believe the philosophy here is 'minimalism'.  not that I agree, but...

> o I can't produce tear-off menus, which I like and
>   occasionally use. Or used to. Sorry Charlie.

i seem to recall alot of discusion on gnome lists about this.  will
research further when I get home.

> think the upgrade fixed things. (At least I can run the
> CPAN shell.) (b) I want to be able to mount the CDs in
> my digital camera using USB. I now have a much later
> kernel, and am hoping that this will work. So far that
> still hasn't worked either.

what kind of camera? was it working in 7.2?

David (the other one....)

--
"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
--Darth Vader