Serial Terminal cables

Vaughn Treude plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:41:12 -0500

On Saturday 09 November 2002 23:13, you wrote:
> I have two old terminals with 2 25 pin connecters on the back, Port A
> and B. Unfortunately I have no cables or adapters with these and so I am
> trying to make a 25pin to cat5 to 8pin with two of those unassembled
> connecters you can get from frys ammong other things. My main problem is
> that I simply cant find what the pinouts are supposed to be for this
> terminal, I cant even find the company who made them online. Its a Falco
> Data Products INC. F5000 series serial terminal. So do these things have
> any kind of standard or anything ? or some way I could hack it together?
>
> Thanks

I notice you say "eight pin."  Are you trying to connect the 25-pin terminals
to a standard PC-type nine-pin serial connector?  If so, this would be the
pinout:

25-pin		9-pin
1 - chassis ground	Shell, if it has one
2 - transmit data	3
3 - receive data	2
4 - request to send	7
5 - clear to send	8
6 - data set ready	6
7 - signal ground	5
8 - carrier detect	1
20- data term. rdy	4
22 - ring indicator	9

Of these signals, "ring indicator" is probably the best candidate for
omission, since it's obviously a telephone thing.  And of course if your
cable has no shield you don't have to worry about chassis ground.

These pinouts were taken from an ancient copy of "The Programmer's PC
Sourcebook" by Microsoft Press, though I'm sure this info is available via a
google search, if you just know the right terms.  (Like RS232, 9-to-25 pin,
etc.)