Using Port 443 w/ Tomcat

Carl Parrish plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
09 Nov 2002 09:11:36 -0700

On Fri, 2002-11-08 at 16:53, der.hans wrote:
> Am 08. Nov, 2002 schw=E4tzte Carl Parrish so:
>=20
> > When using Apache there is a way to set SSL on port 443 even if apache
> > isn't running as root. Does anyone know if there is a way to set this i=
> > tomcat? I *think* what happens in the apache case is that it starts up =
as
> > root sets the port number then switches the user to nobody (or whatever
>=20
> That's how apache listens to port 80, well, it binds port 80 as just
> setting it doesn't necessarily give you permission to use it :).
>=20
> > user is set to run apache). I'd *love* to be able to pull the same tric=
> > off in tomcat.
>=20
> tomcat certainly can if it can be run that way. If not, setup netfilters =
> do port forwarding.

Hans, you know I've *never* been able to get prot forwarding to work
(though I guess I am due for another attempt). Apparently a *lot* of
firewalls don't accept 8443 by default which happens to be Tomcat's
default port for SSL (so moral of the story is if you're setting up a
public tomcat application don't use the default). So now I'm concerned
about the whole securty issue of running tomcat as root. (which I'm not
going to do) but I have to figure out how to get tomcat to run as nobody
but still access port 80. Thanks for the info its given me hope that it
can be done but I still haven't seen info on how just yet.=20

Carl P.=20