New Open Source Project

David Mandala plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
08 Nov 2002 13:19:04 -0700

Phil,

My email was not a comment on your coding ability, I don't know you and
I don't know if you can code or care if you can. My comment was about
how Open Source projects get started. I've rarely seen projects get
started by someone wanting them to get started and offering hosting,
hell there are lots of free hosting services available for Open Source
projects. Since I've been around the Open Source arena since 1994-95
time frame and the public domain software since the mid 70's I have some
experience in the area.

They normally get started by one person who has a need scratching the
need and then other folks join in as they see a need of theirs can be
partially scratched by your work.

Your comment "Maybe I'll just do it myself" is exactly the way to get an
Open Source project started. Start it and see if others have similar
needs. Credibility is gathered by useful code that others appreciate. I
know from first hand experience that PHP was started from Rasmus's need
of an easier method of doing CGI scripts, it gained credibility over
time since it was a need that many people had.

If I offended you, sorry, was not intended to offend, just educate.

Cheers,

Davidm