New Open Source Project

Tom Emerson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 8 Nov 2002 11:26:32 -0700 (MST)

Phil, have you looked through the available software at
http://sourceforge.net/ ?

Try a search on "classified", there are a few that look to be in the
ballpark of what you are wanting to do.

 - tom e.
----------
On Fri, 8 Nov 2002, Phil Mattison wrote:

Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 10:18:51 -0700
From: Phil Mattison <mattison@ohmikron.com>
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: New Open Source Project

My company recently launched a new online classified ad site
(http://www.finderz.net) and I'm thinking of creating an open-source version
of the software using PHP & MySQL. I've seen a number of classified ad
packages on download forums, but most of them were either relatively
expensive, fairly cheesy, or both. I'm sending out this message to gage the
interest in developing such a package, and would like to hear from anyone
who might be interested in participating on a volunteer basis. I can provide
a fairly substantial code base to start from. This idea came to me as I was
looking at phpbb.com, which is a really excellent PHP/SQL open-source forum
package. I contacted the lead developer, who said, "We created phpBB because
we believe in the principals of Open Source and we enjoy writing code that
people can use. We all have day jobs and any costs involved in the project
we handle ourselves." I figure there must be others out there of the same
mind. I can provide web hosting etc. for the project. If anyone is
interested I can provide substantially more detail regarding what I have in
mind, though looking at Finderz.NET should give you a pretty good idea. I am
located in the East Valley, Chandler area, though I suppose that doesn't
necessarily matter.
--
Phil Mattison
Ohmikron Corp.