Mandrake 9 - NO Internet NO Printer NO Scanner - HELP !

Scott H plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 6 Nov 2002 19:07:12 -0800 (PST)

> From: Phil Kennedy <phil.kennedy@lycos.co.uk>
> I am currently trying to dual boot with a Linux
> and XP, and there are always some problems it
> would seem. Lycoris looks nice, but installing
> and downloading are a nightmare - you download
> and a grey box pops up asking you stuff a
> beginner like me has not a clue about. And once
> downloaded you cant find the damn things,
> "find" is baffling, not as straight forward as
> Windows. Lindows does well, but has no back up
> forums worth a light, and Mandrake - I cant get
> the net going, or the printer, or the
> scanner.Tried their "drake" config program, but
> I just go round and round in circles and end up
> in the same place. Can anyone help, please

OK, let's break this up a bit.  First, lycoris.
It's easy to install, but sounds like you are
having trouble downloading the image right.  I
have a set of CDs with Lycoris on it, if you're
near Ahwatukee, maybe I could lend them to you to
try an install.

Next, the "find" command.  Yes, it's baffling as
heck if you're used to Windows GUI search tools.
But it's way more powerful.  Using the Linux
search tools, like the ones that come with the
KDE and Gnome desktops, are VERY similar to
Windows versions.  Try those.  If you must search
from the command line, you'll need to learn the
ropes.  Try the "locate" command for simple
searches.  And read the manuals on these search
tools to learn more on Linux searching ("man
find" "man locate"  "man which").

Next, getting things to work in Mandrake.  Let's
start with the network card.  Do you know what
kind you have?  If it works under Linux?  (A few
do not.)  Did you see Mandrake recognize it
during installation?   What do you get if you
type this at a command line:  "ifconfig"  (when
logged in as root)  Can you ping 127.0.0.1?

.