Apple Airport and Orinoco AP

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
01 Nov 2002 19:53:16 -0700

On Fri, 2002-11-01 at 19:33, Kevin Brown wrote:
> My new Apple Notebook came with an Airport Wireless Nic.  I've been trying to
> get it to work with my Orinoco Gold AP at home (128-bit WEP enabled, Specific
> MAC addresses only).
>
> I select my SSID and the "password" (which should be the text needed to generate
> the 128-bit key).  Unfortunately it can't attach to the network.
>
> I have tried putting "" around the passphrase, but that doesn't work.
>
>  From what I've been able to find with google, this should work together, but
> the only way I have found to configure the settings is with the gui.  All I can
> enter is the Name of the Wireless Network and a password in the gui.
>
>From Apple Support
------------------
AirPort client to third-party base station

If you want to join a non-Apple encrypted wireless network from a
computer with an AirPort card, you must use one of two different styles
for password entry; and it must be the one chosen by the network
administrator. They are:

      1. ASCII password
      If you were given a password that may be plain language,
containing characters from the full range of ASCII, use the double
quotation mark (") before and after the password. These are
case-sensitive, and they are five characters long for 40-bit encrypted
networks or 13 characters long for 128-bit encrypted networks.

      Example of 40-bit: "pw123"
      Example of 128-bit: "password12345"

      2. Hexadecimal password
      If you were given a password that uses only the hexadecimal range
of characters (which are: abcdef0123456789), put a dollar sign ($)
before the password. These passwords are 10 characters long for 40-bit
encrypted networks or 26 characters long for 128-bit encrypted networks.
In a hexadecimal password, the dollar sign is called the Hex Escape. It
notifies the software that the characters that follow it should be
treated as a hexadecimal number. Other possible hex escapes are "0x" and
"0X" (zero-x, and the "x" may be upper or lower case).

      Example of 40-bit: $1234abcdef
Example of 128-bit: $12345678901234567890abcdef