IRC network

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 01 Nov 2002 01:54:17 -0700

technomage wrote:
> ok, I ran into some problems....
> at the moment, I cant get port 22 to forward to inside the lan (I have tried
> the iptables suggested method, but all I get is "connection refused".).
>
> It seems port 22 can't be forwarded in the normal manner. However, I am able
> to forward a high port (above 1024) to the inside lan on port 22 without a
> problem. can anyone explain what is is I am doing wrong?

Is it possible that traffic is being rejected per /etc/hosts.allow.
openssh  DOES make use of this file, even though you won't see inetd
listening on this port.

I suppose cox could be blocking access externally, but I haven't heard
anything along those lines.

> btw, I did turn off sshd on the gateway box before attempting this, so there
> shouldn't have been any port conflicts.
>
> What I want to do is this:
>
> internet(sshport) -> gatewaybox (eth0_port22) ->forward -> lan(eth1_port22)
> -> lan_box(port22). so far. it doesn't work. I can do so on port 2200. what
> am I missing?

What is the gateway? Care to share the configs and output from iptables
-nvL (or similar)? Anything unusual in the configuration of sshd
(/etc/ssh/sshd_config)?

 > btw, ip address is 68.3.168.200

Ah, I was WONDERING where you went!

- Bob