InstallFest / Distribution Advice

Fri, 31 May 2002 02:45:13 -0700 (MST)

Am 30. May, 2002 schwätzte Matt Wyant so:

> I've always been attracted to GNU/Linux because of it's configuration
> and manipulation options. I've played with the Mandrake distribution,
> but it wasn't any fun because I didn't have to do anything. I need a
> distribution that will force me to learn all the dirty details. From
> what I've gathered online, Slackware is just that. A powerful,
> configurable, advanced distribution. I have two questions:
>
> A) Am I jumping in over my head? I'm very proficient with computers,
> I've been programming since before junior high with various flavors of
> basic and c. I'm certainly not daunted by the shell, command line, or
> non-graphical interfaces, in fact, they hold some sort of sick romantic
> draw for me. Should I start with a more user-friendly distribution or do
> you think I can handle Slackware?

I'm led to believe that slackware has changed a lot since I used it, but I
have been assured that it's definitely ripe to help you learn Linux :).

Any dist will allow you to get under the hood and learn more. That's the
nature of Free Software.

I'd suggest the dist with which you're most likely to be able to find
help. We have a few slack-heads on this list, so Slackware certainly can be
a possibility.

> B) I read about the upcoming InstallFest June 22nd. I am very
> interested, and will probably attend if I haven't gotten this figured
> out by then (I'm pretty busy, so that's a definite possibility). I know
> I need to drag my tower, monitors and cables along, but do I need to
> bring a distribution?

We will have several dists there. I hope we will have a few that we aren't
advertising, e.g. slackware and turbo linux and all the *BSDs.

> I will be installing to a swappable primary drive, so loss of
> productivity and time is not a problem during installation. I want to
> cut my teeth on my workstation, and then eventually run
> samba/apache/mysql on my (currently) file server. I've got a dual
> Pentium III 1.0Ghz with dual monitors. I do a lot of web and SQL
> development, as well as audio/video editing. Is any of this going to
> pose roadblocks? Is there anything I should know before I dive in?

Let us know which video card(s) you have.

Several SQL capable databases available. Tons of web development options as
well.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  Knowledge is useless unless it's shared. - der.hans