PLUG presentations/training

Jeff James plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 29 May 2002 14:08:57 -0700

<P>Hey Matt !!&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Great idea !!&nbsp; I spoke with you last night after the meeting regarding this very subject.&nbsp;&nbsp; It would also enable us to possibly bring "Newbies" to the meetings without them becoming overwhelmed with the "Geek-Speak", thus growing the group.&nbsp; I really like the idea of possibly a "new users" session before the main topic.&nbsp; That way some of us can brush up on the fundamentals which could also make the general session more interesting on a personal level.&nbsp; Keep up the good work.&nbsp; I'll support you / the group however I can.</P>
<P>Thanks,</P>
<P>Jeff James<BR><BR></P></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;From: Matt Alexander <M@NETPRO.TO>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Reply-To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
<DIV></DIV>&gt;To: <PLUG-DISCUSS@LISTS.PLUG.PHOENIX.AZ.US>
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Subject: PLUG presentations/training
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 23:10:24 -0700 (PDT)
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;After talking with several people tonight, it occured to me how important
<DIV></DIV>&gt;it is for this group to provide training to its members. I'd be willing
<DIV></DIV>&gt;to take the initiative and start teaching classes on a variety of Linux
<DIV></DIV>&gt;topics. For example, I could easily give introductory sessions on the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;following topics:
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Linux user fundamentals
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Setting up an Apache webserver
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Setting up a DNS server
<DIV></DIV>&gt;Setting up a Samba file/print server
<DIV></DIV>&gt;System monitoring with Big Brother
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I'm sure there are many other topics I could handle as well, but this
<DIV></DIV>&gt;could be a start. Maybe we could even have a "fundamentals" session
<DIV></DIV>&gt;before every regular meeting, that way new users would know that they
<DIV></DIV>&gt;could come to any PLUG meeting and learn the basics, and then stay for the
<DIV></DIV>&gt;main topic afterwards if they're interested.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;I know there's a lot of interest in Linux out there, but it can be pretty
<DIV></DIV>&gt;overwhelming at first to a new user, particularly if they've never been
<DIV></DIV>&gt;exposed to *nix before.
<DIV></DIV>&gt;~M
<DIV></DIV>&gt;
<DIV></DIV>&gt;See http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/navigator-mail.shtml if your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to write mail.