Debian Unstable and ALSA problems

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 29 May 2002 08:52:46 -0700

Hi all,

I've installed Debian 2.2r3 and updated to "unstable". Everything is
working on this config (dual Celeron 500, ATI Radeon video, SB Live!
5.1) with the exception of the ALSA audio configuration. I did a
parallel install of SuSE 8.0 on another partition, and it detected the
audio card just fine. I'm obviously just missing a package, but I can't
figure out which.

On SuSE, alsaconf spends a moment detecting a card then lets me know it
found the SB Live!, but on Debian, I drop immediately into the card
selection list. After selecting the card and going through the settings,
I get an error:

No ALSA driver installed
Starting ALSA sound driver (version none):modprobe: Can't locate module
snd failed.
Setting the PCM volume to 100% and the Master output volume to 50%
No ALSA driver installed
Could not initialize the mixer, the card was probably
not detected correctly.

I am using kernel-image-2.4.18-686 in a default configuration. I'm
suspecting there's some support missing from the kernel at this point,
but everything I'm finding on the web seems to indicate it should just
work. Does anyone have any pointers?

Thanks,

- Bob