stopping opt-out

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 28 May 2002 15:30:22 -0700

On Tue, May 28, 2002 at 12:44:44PM -0700, der.hans wrote:
> moin, moin,
>
> some of these phone companies are also selling call history! Yikes.
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/industry/05/28/telecoms.privacy.ap/index.html
>
> At least Qwest got spanked and had to hold their plans off.
>
> ciao,
>
> der.hans

From the article:
      Privacy on the Internet also is a target. Legislation has been
      introduced in the Senate by Sen. Ernest Hollings, Democrat-South
      Carolina, that would allow data such as addresses, records of items
      purchased, user preferences and Web browsing histories, to be shared
      with third parties unless customers take the initiative to forbid it.

Could this be the same Sen. Hollings responsible for the SSSCA and it's
reincarnation? If so, I imagine his approval ratings are dropping a point a
second...

--
Thomas "Mondoshawan" Tate
mondoshawan@tank.dyndns.org