bash Scripts

Dale Farnsworth plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 28 May 2002 07:12:04 -0700

On Fri, May 24, 2002 at 03:45:01AM +0000, Clayton Stapleton wrote:
> My system is an Athlon 1600X CPU, 256MB of memory, with SuSE Linux 7.3
> mounted as  a dual boot. The version of bash is 2.05-82.  When I try some
> of the exercises in the Bash-Prog-Intro-HOWTO-1.html such as the "for",
> "while" and "until" loops thats as far as I have gotten so far I get the
> following from this "for" script when it is run:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> for i in `seq 1 10`;
> do
>         echo $i
> done
>
> bash: syntax error near unexpected token `for'

The problem is a simple one.  Your scripts are never being executed.
The following commands are built-in to bash: for, while, until.
Bash is running the builtin rather than your script.

Either rename your "for" script to something else such as "myfor"
or invoke it differently, like "./for" or "'for'".

-Dale