Installfest questions....

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 26 May 2002 17:18:12 -0700

William Lindley wrote:
> Really need folks to bring their monitors so we can
> set the X refresh rate above 60Hz if possible.

Really.  I've NEVER had a successful X setup,
and will be bringing my machine probably to
next month's Stammtisch to try to learn more.
And this is with all the info I'm able to
dredge up about my monitor.

Jim wrote:
> ... we can inform the converts that naked access to
> the Internet, while much safer with Linux, can still
> be dangerous.

And any install we do will include a pass through
Bastille.  RIGHT?

Kevin wrote:
> A CDROM would be nice. If no CD and no NIC, no install ;-(

... which implies we need to bring along a few spare
CD drives and NICs for temporary use, right?

George Toft wrote:
> Run kppp.  ...  Fill in the blanks and off you go.
> It's not that hard - I never used a dial-up connection
> with Linux until last December.  It worked the first
> time I tried with an Earthlink account.

Inficad, on the other hand, required me to create a
login script before kppp could make a connection.

Hans wrote:
> I think I have some spare modems that I could bring
> such that we can show people things work even if their
> particular modem doesn't work. 56k external modems
> are pretty cheap, right?

I wonder if we could get a stock of 56k externals
from some vendor -- I don't know anything about
selling on consignment, tax issues, etc.

George wrote:
> [Linux] will notwork with AOL, so if you use AOL,
> you are getting a new ISP (if you want to use Linux
> on the Internet).

BIG POINT.  Should we mention this in the press
release?  It won't create any good will for us to
be breaking people's AOL access, with them finding
out too late!

Other notes:

Does our announcement mention how much disk space the
box needs to have AVAILABLE to load Linux?

Will people understand that they have to give up some
or all of their Windows space, that Linux can't just
be installed "under" Windows?

If a user comes in with a Windows box, and is ready
to replace Windows with Linux, then we want to go
research their networking settings before taking
down the box ... even try dialing in with those
settings!

Some of the machines that come in will have an old BIOS
and may need to boot LILO from floppy.  Do we need to
have a fistful of fresh LILO floppies available?

Vic