Install Fest Press Release RC1

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 26 May 2002 17:17:11 -0700

Please don't release this too early -- depending on the
medium in each case.

Please let me know before the first release so I can
make sure the web site is all set.

The press release is excellent as it is, and I have no quarrel
with whatever is decided upon, BUT I am proposing
some changes.

Thinking as a former newspaper copy editor whose job
it was to make news stories out of press releases,
let me suggest some re-wording of the first half,
to put the icing up at the top.  I have rearranged some
of the material, shortened sentences, pushed the exact
location and times further down in the story, clearly
invited the public, and introduced a figurehead (smile,
Bill!) to represent us.

Bill, the quotes should really be your statements, so replace
them with "sound bytes" that really reflect your position,
and feel free to steal any of the statements within this
release to attribute to yourself.  News is made by
people, not organizations.  But the overall amount of
quoting should probably not exceed the amount I have here.

  On Saturday, June 22, the Phoenix Linux Users Group (PLUG)
  invites the public to a "Linux InstallFest" at Scottsdale
  Community College.  Attendees will receive expert help in
  installing Linux, a freely available operating system, on
  their personal computers.

  After the InstallFest, users who brought their computers
  along can in many cases go home with working systems
  installed on their machines, free of charge.  The
  package includes web browsers, word processors, and
  other usual tools that computer users expect.

  PLUG's organizer for the event is Bill Lindley,
        <an engineer in the ??? industry or whatever Bill can
        say that would sound impressive but not opaque>.
  "We just want to help grow the Free Software community by
  helping folks get started", Lindley explained.  "It costs
  us nothing but a little time, doing what we love to do."

  The software is an alternative to Windows and other proprietary
  systems.  Linux, GNU, FreeBSD and other "open source" and "free
  software" systems do not require any licensing or upgrade fees,
  and are said by many experts to be more efficient and secure
  than Windows systems.

>  Businesses and home users alike are turning to free software which can be
>  freely copied, modified, or examined, and which is considered by computer
>  experts to be more robust and secure than proprietary systems.

  Though there is no charge, the term "free software" actually
  refers to freedom from license restrictions:  Users are never asked
  to click "I Agree" to a list of prohibitions before using it,
  and organizations need not store "Certificates of Authenticity"
  in their safe deposit boxes in case of an audit.

  The free software products are available at no charge through
  the Internet or as an inexpensive distribution at most local
  computer stores, but the InstallFest offers users a completed
  installation by experienced Linux and FreeBSD administrators.
>  Computer users are invited to bring their computers to the event.
>  (Only the computer box, monitor, keyboard and mouse need be brought

  --  and external modems if users plan to use them.)

>  "Your old operating system can remain as an alternative, or we
   can replace it entirely," Lindley said, "depending on your plans
   for the machine and how much disk space you have to spare."

  "This is a really important next step in development of
  computers and the Internet -- making them more affordable and
  more secure," Lindley said.  "We are here to show how easy it
  can be for computer users to move up to the next level."

  The event will be held from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. in the
  College's Turquoise Room, at 9000 E. Chaparral Rd.,
  Scottsdale, AZ.  A map is available online at PLUG's web site,
  ( http://plug.phoenix.az.us ).

   PLUG Club members will be
>  available to answer questions about Linux, Open Source software, and the
>  Phoenix Linux User Group as well.

  DELETE:  The event is open to the public.  <promoted to top.>

>  For more information about the InstallFest, email
>  contact@plug.phoenix.az.us or call Willaim Lindley at 480-947-6100

   PLUG is an informal group that holds
   several monthly meetings, on both the East and West sides of
>  Phoenix, to talk about what they've recently done with Linux, GNU and
>  open source software; to share problems and solutions, and to discuss
>  issues in the world of Free Software and computers in general.
>  Knowledge of Linux is neither presumed nor required.
   Between meetings, PLUG members stay in touch through a busy
   e-mail discussion list.