Using Unauthorized Software Copies a Felony in Arizona

Kevin Brown plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 26 May 2002 10:20:05 -0700

> > > You should read the CBDTPA.
> >
> > and what is that?  Several days ago I read the documents pointing to
> > this legislation.
>
> In a nutshell, this bill requires the installation of hardware copy
> protection devices on all hardware capable of playing digital media.
> So your next computer will be unable to copy mp3's, mpg's, avi's,
> etc.  Eric Raymond's wife, a lawyer, did an excellent article on why
> this is bad: http://linuxandmain.com/essay/craymond.html

I've seen a few articles pointed to from Slashdot about this and how it really
won't stop piracy.  Since the bootleg copy is without copy control, the system
won't know to not let it be manipulated and copied to other systems.  All that
will really happen with this bill is companies like Dell, Gateway, Western
Digital, Seagate, etc... will find it very hard to continue in their current
business.  Intel, Sony and pretty much every hardware vendor in this country is
opposed to it.  That makes for a lot of dollars lobbying against it (even with
the RIAA and the MPAA lobbying for it).