KDE and Gnome

Isaac Sparrow plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 24 May 2002 16:47:52 -0700

On Friday 24 May 2002 03:48 pm, Frank Mandato wrote:
>   Is there any way to switch between KDE and Gnome Desktops, I seem to
> like KDE better, however I selected Gnome because I am more familiar
> with it when I installed.
>
>   I am running RH 7.3 and presently I can run KDE apps within Gnome, but
> I would also like to have the full KDE desktop without Gnome.
>
>   TIA
>
>   FrankM

Here is one way to do it:

create a file in your $HOME directory called:
   .xinitrc

Enter the following lines in ".xinitrc":

exec startkde
#exec gnome-session

Save the file and exit the X server. Now type "startx".

To use Gnome instead of KDE uncomment the "exec gome-session" line and comment
out the "exec startkde" line.

HTH,

- --

Isaac Sparrow
Staff Engineer
VisiComp, Inc.
http://www.visicomp.com

GnuPG Key Fingerprint:
1060 5A07 F6EC B2B3 9AAA 3EA5 7B79 EFE1 6397 4F47
Get my public key at:
http://www.concentric.net/~issparow

The surest protection against temptation is cowardice.
		-- Mark Twain