PLUG Training

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 24 May 2002 11:15:30 -0700

Below are the results of the training survey.
Individual responses are at the bottom; but first I
will summarize the topic popularity; there is a HEAVY
interest in administration, scripting, and Debian
specifically, and this feels reasonable.

(See the other topics below.  We should plan sessions,
activities or one-on-one brainstorming and demos to support
those also, where there are more than one requestor.)

My conclusion is that we should plan a curriculum starting
with some basic scripting, to avoid folks being left behind
in the Admin courses; then address Debian installation and
configuration; then more administration subjects, then into
the network stuff.  We will stay in touch with interested
parties and try to adjust the times and locations to fit
those who will attend each session.  And rather than worrying
about pulling together a whole curriculum, we should agree
on the basics and then go with the specific sub-topics.
We can stay busy on an on-going basis with some of this
material.

I'm assuming that those responding are not the only ones
who might attend sessions, and that the proportion of
interests roughly represents Who We Are.

A strong geographical problem indicates to me that we should
plan long, meaty sessions to make travel worth while.
Also, if we can find a central (Downtown) location, that
may make it possible to gather critical mass.  But if we
consult all who express interest, we may find a time and
place that works for everyone.

I exclude "installation" and "configure" from the summary.
Interested parties should attend the SCC installfest in June;
drag a machine to a meeting (by pre-arrangement) to get
help; and/or solicit the traditional 1:1 on-site Linux
install tutoring via the discuss list.

OK, now the popularity list.  I am showing subjects in
order of the priorities people gave them, and the number
of people expressing interest.  People's times and locations
are included to help scope out our ability to get together.

You will see that four related subjects bobbed right to the
top of the list:  Linux Administration, Debian, Scripting
and Network Administration.  The remaining subjects hardly
show up at all, but someone may be able to identify some
more "interest groupings".

Intro Linux Administration is the hands-down winner!
 1. Intro Linux Administration    East  1.5 - 2 hours esp Mon/Tue 7pm
 1. Intro Linux Administration  East  Evenings  long sessions
 1. Intro Linux Administration  East  2-4 hour sessions  Weekends; or
Wknights after 7:30 EXC Tue/Thu
 1. Intro to Linux Administration  West  2-3 hour sessions  Weekday
eves, Sat mornings
 2 80% Intro Linux Administration  West  long sessions  flexible times
 2 80% Intro Linux Administration   2-4 hours  evenings, maybe Saturday
 5. Intro Linux Administration  3 hours  West  long sessions

Debian:  Note that this is strongly related to Linux Administration.
  Debian would probably be one of the best vehicles for an admin class,
  though it would also have to touch on some non-Debian topics:
 1. 99.9999%  Intro Debian GNU/Linux  West  long sessions
 1. 80%  Intro Debian GNU/Linux  West  long sessions  flexible times
 1. Intro Debian GNU/Linux
 3. Intro Debian GNU/Linux  East  Evenings  long sessions

Intro Scripting (sh, ksh, Perl) -- Note again strong relationship
    to Linux Administration, maybe should be combined.
 1 90%  Intro Scripting (sh, ksh, Perl)  West  long sessions  flexible
times
 2. 100% Intro Scripting (sh, ksh, Perl) 5 hours  West  long sessions
 2. Intro to Scripting  West  2-3 hour sessions  Weekday eves, Sat
mornings
 3. Intro Scripting (sh, ksh, Perl)   East  1.5 - 2 hours esp Mon/Tue
7pm
 4  Intro Scripting (sh, ksh, Perl)   East  2-4 hour sessions  Weekends;
or Wknights after 7:30 EXC Tue/Thu
 5. Intro Scripting (sh, ksh, Perl)  East  Evenings  long sessions

Intro Network Administration
 1  90% Intro Network Administration  West  long sessions  flexible
times
 2. Intro Network Administration    East  1.5 - 2 hours esp Mon/Tue 7pm
 2  Intro Network Administration  East  2-4 hour sessions  Weekends; or
Wknights after 7:30 EXC Tue/Thu
 2  80% Intro Network Administration   2-4 hours  evenings, maybe
Saturday
 4. Intro to Network Administration  West  2-3 hour sessions  Weekday
eves, Sat mornings
 6. Intro Network Administration  3 hours  West  long sessions

Intro Open Office:
 1  90%  Intro Open Office  West  long sessions  flexible times
 3. 100% Intro Open Office  3 hours  West  long sessions
 3. Intro Open Office
 3  70% Intro Open Office   2-4 hours  evenings, maybe Saturday

Makefiles, Autoconf/Config
 1. 80%  Makefiles, Autoconf/Config  West  long sessions  flexible times
 4. Makefiles, Autoconf/Config  East  Evenings  long sessions
 3. 75% Makefiles, Autoconf/Config  West  long sessions
 9. Makefiles, Autoconf/Config  5 hours  West  long sessions

Intro Python:
 2. 80%  Intro Python.  West  long sessions  flexible times
 6. Intro Python  East  Evenings  long sessions
 7. Intro Python  5 hours  West  long sessions

SQL / MySQL:  These four are mostly on the West Side.
  Note I lumped intro SQL with MySQL but there are two
  distinct levels of expertise involved.
 1 100% MySQL.   2-4 hours  evenings, maybe Saturday
 1 100% MySQL!!  West  long sessions  flexible times
 2 50%  Intro SQL.  West  long sessions  flexible times
 3. Intro to SQL  West  2-3 hour sessions  Weekday eves, Sat mornings

Intro GNOME Desktop:
 2. Intro GNOME desktop  East  Evenings  long sessions
 2. Intro GNOME desktop
 3 80%  Intro GNOME desktop  West  long sessions  flexible times
 4. Intro GNOME desktop  3 hours  West  long sessions
 5. Intro GNOME desktop  West  2-3 hour sessions  Weekday eves, Sat
mornings

These two guys could join the kernel discussion lists
and buy a couple of books; but note the low priorities.
 5  Kernel mysteries
 7. Kernel mysteries

Intro to PHP?  We two guys should start attending the PHP group's
meetings.
   One's coming up on the 28th I think ...
 1 100% Intro PHP
 8. Intro PHP

The following topics had only one vote apiece:
 1 100% Intro XSLT
 2 80% Intro GNUe
 2 100% FreeBSD workstation/server administration
 3 Intro Linux Security
 3 Basic "end user" commands (You need to buy "Unix in a
            Nutshell", then ask questions on the list.)
 4 60% Intro Docbook
 5 60% Kernel mysteries
 6 60% Drivers

-------------------------------------

Vic

Individual responses:

Steve Young <SYoung@phx1.bcbsaz.com>: East Side, Gilbert & Baseline
 1.5 - 2 hours; 20-30 hours total!
 100% once weekly, esp Mon/Tue 7pm.
 1. Intro Linux Administration
 2. Intro Network Administration
 3. Intro Scripting (sh, ksh, Perl)

Dave Stone <homerisnot@cox.net>: East Side Chandler Blvd & Cooper Rd
 newbie; 5 sessions, 2-hour sessions;
  Thu & Fri no limit, 100%;
  Daytimes are good; Sat thru Wed nights must leave for work at 9pm.
 1.  Install Linux
 2.  Configure my hardware/drivers - especially cable modem
 3.  Basic "end user" commands

Richard J Herrem <herrem@juno.com>: West Side, Litchfield & Ind Sch.
 Wants longer sessions; flexible times.
 (Estrella Mt. Community College suggested, FWIW.)
 Note he shows probability of attendance:
 1 100% MySQL!!
 1 90%  Intro Network Administration
 1 90%  Intro Open Office
 1 90%  Intro Scripting (sh, ksh, Perl)
 1 80%  Makefiles, Autoconf/Config
 1 80%  Intro Debian GNU/Linux
 2 80%  Intro Python.
 2 80%  Intro Linux Administration
 2 50%  Intro SQL.
 3 80%  Intro GNOME desktop

Colin Mahoney <crm@selfmedicate.net>: East Side, N. Scottsdale
 Evenings, up to 3-hr sessions.
 1.  Intro Linux Administration
 2.  Intro GNOME desktop
 3.  Intro Debian GNU/Linux
 4.  Makefiles, Autoconf/Config
 5.  Intro Scripting (sh, ksh, Perl)
 6.  Intro Python
 7.  Kernel mysteries

Fred Wright <fawright@earthlink.net> West Side: I-10 7 Dysart.
 Wants meaty courses with take-away material,
 concentrated rather than strung-out schedule;
 100% proabability to attend high priority topics.
 Mainframe veteran, Linux newbie.
 1. Installfests  3 hours  (excluded from summary, see note)
 2. Intro Scripting (sh, ksh, Perl) 5 hours
 3. Intro Open Office  3 hours
 4. Intro GNOME desktop  3 hours
 5. Intro Linux Administration  3 hours
 6. Intro Network Administration  3 hours
 7. Intro Python  5 hours
 8. Intro PHP  5 hours
 9. Makefiles, Autoconf/Config  5 hours

bob smith <sekretskwerl@yahoo.com>: West Side, 75th Av 7 Tbird
 Open to long sessions.  (Real name is James Mabry.)
 1 99.9999%  Intro Debian GNU/Linux
 2 100%      FreeBSD workstation/server administration
 3  75%      Makefiles, Autoconf/Config

Andrew Bruner <ABruner@mail.de.state.az.us>:  East Side, Ahwatukee
 a.k.a. <drew@giantmidget.zzn.com>
 Favors 2-4 hour sessions; 100% in times listed below ...
 Weeknights EXCEPT Tues & Thurs, starting at 7:30.
 Weekends anytime.

 1 Intro Linux Administration
 2 Intro Network Administration
 3 Intro Linux Security
 4 Intro Scripting (sh, ksh, Perl)
 5 Kernel mysteries?

Lee Einer <appealsman@cox.net>: West Side, 23rd Av & Greenway
 Favors 2-3 hour sessions.  Open ended number of sessions.
 Weekday evening, Saturday mornings.
 1. Intro to Linux Administration
 2. Intro to Scripting
 3. Intro to SQL