Thoughts on InstallFest

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 23 May 2002 08:28:17 -0700

For the event to be a real success, I think three things need to happen.

1. Responsiblilty - What happens if we toast someone's data? Are we liable?
Should people sign a release? How do other LUGs handle this issue?

2. Folow up - They walk away with Linux installed, but now what? As Henry White
says "This ain't Windows any more." Where do they turn for help? Is the club
ready to receive a bunch of newbies with questions? Without follow up the idea
will persist that Linux is hard to use. I beleive most distros only offer
telephone help with the retail box not a downloaded ISO we burned to a CD.

3. Freedom - The InstallFest is a good opportunity to talk about freedom being
so close the the 4th of July. If they go way just thinking that Linux is free
(as in free beer) we haven't done our job.

Maybe a little hand out about where to look for help and what PLUG can offer
along with an intro to software and freedom is in order. Spread the Word!

I've got 50 Linux case badges featuring Tux and the American flag that we can
give to every successful install. View USA Ver 2 here - http://scotgold.cyber-
city.co.uk/acatalog/ScotGold_Catalogue_Linux_Tux_Products_2.html

What are your thoughts?

Dennis Kibbe

Everyone should have http://www.freedom2surf.net/