Job Hunting on Plug-Discuss List

Wed, 22 May 2002 22:28:22 -0700 (MST)

Am 22. May, 2002 schwätzte Jim so:

> Don't forget that discuss is quasi-moderated.  If a body shopper joins the
> list just to use the list as a tool for his job, he won't last long.

The list is not moderated in any way! Sorry Jim. I know what you're trying
to say, but moderated is the wrong word.

We do require being subscribed to the list to post, but anyone can join, so
there's no moderation.

We do also naturally hold the right to toss someone off the list, though
AFAIK we've never had anything come up where that would even be considered.

I, personally, dislike moderated discussion groups. Thus far we've had no
need for it and I hope we can keep it that way.

We do occasionally have mob rules flame wars on people who go beyond
someone's personal preferences, but that's been initiated by individuals and
not been an attempt by 'the administration' to quell something.

For the most part those of us who admin the resources try to follow what the
group decides. We will ocassionally try to influence that as the individuals
we are, but I don't think we've had to pull rank on anything. I try not to,
even if I'm quite adamant about my personal ideaologies.

When I post 'clarifications' like this, it's as someone administrating the
resources, not as someone controlling the group. In other words, if the
group wants something I don't agree with, then the group wins ( with caveats
like it still needs to be legal ).

While I can't speak for the others helping admin the various resources, I
think they look at the situation similarly. They also know that I'll toss my
weight around when we're making technical decisions :). As will they.

PLUG requires the participation of the rest of you to work. For example:

* Vic coming forward to work on the web site.
* Bill stepping up to coordinate the Installfest.
* Thurman getting us a room for the Installfest.
* Alan becoming SWAGmaster.
* Those who have done presentations for us.
* Those who have done presentations at other groups, such as SCC last month.
* Those who post answers to help others.
* Those who ask questions that get us to think about a problem.
* Brian, Jason, Steve, Alan and Wes before them who've hosted our meetings.

These are the people that make PLUG work. We need that participation or PLUG
ceases to exist.

There are lots of projects, all we need is for people to step forward and
make them happen.

ciao,

der.hans
--