Job Hunting on Plug-Discuss List

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 22 May 2002 19:53:02 -0700

This has been bothering me, and I'd like to hear
(and would like someone else to hear) the sense of
the group on this subject.

A member of PLUG mentioned recently that he would
not mention on these PLUG lists that he was looking
for work.  Apparently he felt it might be an abuse
of his influence among this group -- or maybe
because it might somehow subvert his usefulness to
the PLUG cause.  But I think it is an abuse of
the spirit of PLUG to stifle ourselves that way.

We are friends here.  Who can better help each of
us to obtain, or prepare for, our next gig?  We know
something of each other's backgrounds, and move in
circles that might lead to jobs for other members,
so any of us (given the right information) might
see a connection between an open opportunity and
one of our PLUG friends.

How many here think a member's employment interest
is an inappropriate subject for this list?  I'm not
talking about major marketing, but rather about
letting it be known we're available, and for what.
Nobody stands alone, and you can't get help if you
don't ask for it.  And it is a service to potential
employers to let it be known who's available.
Everybody wins.

If you agree with me, please add some encouragement
for members to mention that kind of thing.
And if not, please set me straight.

Thanks,

Vic
http://members.cox.net/vodhner/