mounting a SMB resource revisited

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 17 May 2002 16:47:56 -0400

Group,

We have been talking about mounting Samba resources.
I'm having a problem with one.

At home I have a Red Hat 7.2 box with VMware installed,
running Windows XP Pro in a virtual machine. In it I
have marked a folder to be shared. On the basis of what
I learned in recent discussions it now functions very
nicely, and I can even mount it from Linux as a
non-root user.

Here where I am presently working I have nearly the
same setup ... slightly different hardware, but
functionally almost a clone of my home system,
including VMware running a Windows XP virtual machine.

I went through all the machinations to share a folder,
and when I try to mount it, I get an error message.

It looks like this (so far run only as root):

# mount -t smbfs -o username=TheUser,workgroup=TheGroup \
   //TheMachine/TheShare /mnt/it2
7163: Connection to TheMachine failed
SMB connection failed

(Real names/paths not shown.)

FWIW, I do have another SMB directory mounted at work,
proving it's not a problem with Samba not working on
the machine. It just cannot connect to my virtual machine.

vmware-nmbd and vmware-smbd are both running processes.

Most of what I know about Windows I have learned in the
last week. I need help with suggestions what to check.

Thank you for your help.