DNS Problems (Anthem)

Gilbert T. Gutierrez, Jr. plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 16 May 2002 13:17:19 -0700

George,
Have you switched to Cox yet?  I switched the first week that it was
available at Anthem.  I promptly went on vacation the next week (just
getting back yesterday).  I have not had any problems with their service
yet, though their speed is very questionable and the cable channels are in a
different order from Qwest's.

Personally, I did not use my Qwest VDSL that often (had it for nearly 2
years) and when I did it worked (I get enough Internet at work and usually
when I get home, the last thing I want to see is a computer and the
Internet.).  I noticed Qwest's Cable going out every once and a while.

I switched not because of anything that Qwest did, but for financial
reasons.  I paid about $80/month for VDSL and Basic Cable.  Now I pay an
undisclosed amount for Cable modem service and every cable channel COX has
(Its nice when your wife works for the cable company!).

Perceived Differences...
Cox seems slower.
Cox only provides 1 IP address (you can pay for additional), Qwest gave me 3
IP addresses.
QOS - it is too early to tell.
Cost - I think they are about the same.

If someone is only having DNS issues, I would install a DNS Cache server on
their machine.  My preference being Tiny DNS.

Gilbert