Upgrading to SuSE 8.0

Matt plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 15 May 2002 19:31:58 -0700

I have SuSE 7.3 Personal installed on my computer, and my neighbor burned me
copies of his 8.0 to upgrade with. I tried using System Update in the
control center, and it told me to insert CD 1 (of 7.3) I did, it installed
some packages (even though I installed all packages), and installed a few
more from CD 2, then finished and closed. I opened the control center up
again, and it started the same process.

Then I rebooted with the 7.3 boot floppy and the copied 8.0 CD 1, but it
wouldn't start the install. Then I put the 7.3 CD 1 in, started up the
installation process, and put in the 8.0 CD 1. It tried taking me through
the update process <i>to</i> 7.3.

I asked my neighbor if a boot floppy came with 8.0, and he said he didn't
think so, but he could have missed it and accidentally thrown it away. So I
guess I have two questions: 1) Does SuSE 8.0 come with a boot floppy and 2)
If not, how do I update my current installation (If yes to #1 I'll probably
just go out and buy it - it'd be good to have the manuals anyway)?