DNS Problems

Wed, 15 May 2002 16:26:55 -0700 (MST)

Am 15. May, 2002 schwätzte Frank Mandato so:

>    I can not access any website with their FQDN, however I have no
> problem getting anywhere when I use the numeric IP addresses.
>
>   I had to change my server name to its numeric IP address in order to
> send or receive mail.
>
>   I am not running any DNS servers on my machine, sometimes I can use
> domain names, sometimes I can't. I am with qwest ( not much longer ) and
> I have a domain parked at zoneedit.com that I use on this machine as a
> test bed.
>
>   I have no problems pinging IP addresses, but can't ping domain names.

OK, you can get places using IP, so your base networking setup works.

When DNS isn't working, check /etc/resolv.conf and find out who you're
pointing at.

See if you can ping whoever's listed as a nameserver.

If you can, then try to do a lookup directly against that server's IP, e.g.

host www.spiegel.de 129.219.13.81

If you don't have host, use nslookup with the same syntax. nslookup is
suposed to be going away, so get host if you don't have it.

If it doesn't work with your nameservers, check against the IP I gave above.
That's one of ASU's DNS servers and it allows you to make 3rd party queries.
Don't use it normally because it'll slow down your connection, but it's
great for testing.

Make sure you're pointing at the correct nameservers for your ISP. Speed
Choice changed on me at on point ( with no warning ) and I started having
problems. Got the new IPs and everything worked again. Another time they
warned me and I had it all setup before the old ones went away. No problems
that time around.

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  https://www.LuftHans.com/
#  If you're not learning, you're not living. - der.hans