Linux Training

Victor Odhner plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 13 May 2002 22:36:41 -0700

I have just nominated myself as PLUG's Grand Poobah of Training.

If there is a demand for training, then let's make it happen.
First we need to guage the demand within the group.
Then we'd consider publicity to help fill the courses.

For this survey, please e-mail the following address:
  vodhner+courses@aztec.asu.edu

1. See the subjects below.
2. Pick the top topics that you WOULD ATTEND.
3. Prioritize them and send your "order" to (one more time):

  vodhner+courses@aztec.asu.edu

Include this information:
  Topic name.  (Feel free to suggest new topics.)
  How long you'd like each session to be.
  How many hours of instruction you'd like altogether on this.
  How likely are you to attend?  0-100%
  Your name & e-mail address.
  Best location(s):  Major cross-streets in your life,
    from which you would be travelling to the courses.
  Optionally, but most important for people with heavy schedules:
    Your best day of the week, and TIME, for classes.
    Your second best.
    Your third best.

By Sunday evening, I will produce a report on who wants to
attend which courses, etc.  Then we can draft teachers and
start to schedule!  If any strong interest groups appear,
we might talk about setting up SIGs or ongoing seminars
on those subject areas.

I would attend (or give) a class or two weekly, for example.

I have expanded Derek's list below, and there are sure to be
other subjects.  My initials (vo) indicate my offer to teach.
I know we could get teachers for the other additions.

Expanded list:
Developer
-------------
Intro SQL.
Intro XSLT.
Intro Python.
Intro PHP.
Intro Docbook.
Intro GNUe.
Intro Linux Administration
Installfests
Intro Network Administration
Makefiles, Autoconf/Config (vo)
Advanced C seminar / workshop, mixed levels (vo)
Intro Scripting (sh, ksh, Perl) (vo)
Kernel mysteries?
Drivers?

End User
Intro Open Office
Intro GNOME desktop
Intro Debian GNU/Linux

So now we can find out if people out there really
want to get "Linux training".

Vic
http://members.cox.net/vodhner/
Helping Grow the Techoasis - http://www.techoasis.org