Good place for CHEAP (yet warrantied) computers?

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 9 May 2002 14:11:30 -0700

I know of quite a few places that sell high quality and infinitely
customized computers.. but at a price.  Right now, I'm buying a computer
for a friend and I am having a very tough time finding just the right one.

Here's the problem: It has to be VERY cheap.  I'll go as high as $300 but
even that is pushing it a bit.  Obviously, this can't be a kick-ass
computer, but it doesn't need to be.  A celeron/duron with 64M + few gig
drive and modem is all that's needed (no keyboard, mouse, speakers, or
monitor).  It will be running Windows (unfortunately!) so hardware
compatibility is a moot point.

Now there are quite a few systems on eBay that fit that criteria.. but the
list drops to zero after the next requirement: there must be some sort of
warranty (tech support, mostly) on it.  My friend lives in MI so having me
support the system is out of the question.

Anybody run into a similar situation and find such a retailer?
--
Kurt Granroth - "KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop"
KDE Developer/Evangelist | granroth@kde.org