stupid web question

Chip Nielsen plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 5 May 2002 20:02:03 -0700

Eric,

Yes, you do need nameservers. You do not necessarily need to setup
your own nameservers though.

If you do not have DNS servers, no one on the internet will be
able to get to your domain. You won't receive mail and any
services you make available will be inaccessible by name.
The two DNS servers that Versign requests are the authoritative DNS
(primary and secondary) for YOUR domain. They are the servers that other
DNS servers on the internet contact for information regarding
your domain's name-to-ip mappings.

Final note, you will still be able to access your server by IP
if you don't have valid name servers.

Check out www.mydomain.com for a free DNS service.

Chip

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of VB
Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2002 4:35 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Subject: stupid web question

Hi,

 I am getting ready to make my e-smith webmail server visible/accessible from
the Internet.  I have purchased a domain name from Verisign.  But I do not
have a DNS server.  Verisign requires that I give them the names of two
DNS servers. I don't understand why ***I*** need a domain server.  I
understand why ***you*** need one, so that ***you*** can translate
domain name to ip.  But why do I need one at all?

SO I need to get two DNS servers; since I already have my own particular
domain name, what should I do?  I don't have any extra computers
laying around to set up bind.

Is there anything else I need to do to get "mydomainname.com" to work; I
mean is there anything else I need to do to get myself visible, accessible
from the Internet, or anthing else I need to do to keep Verisign happy? (I
realize these questions are not well-worded, sorry.)

Thanks

Eric