Firewalling as an introductory Linux topic

plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 04 May 2002 17:00:55 -0400

You are correct.  Smoothwall doesn't support DNS definitions, at least not through the web admin interface.  I suspect you could hook up a keyboard and monitor on the box and edit the config files directly but I have never tried this.

I don't know if IPCop allows this sort of thing.

If you need control of DNS down to record entries, maybe these ready-made firewall distros are not for you.

Alan

On Sat, 4 May 2002 13:23:32 -0700 (MST) William Lindley <wlindley@wlindley.com> wrote:

> Other "e-Smith"-ish firewall distros that are easy to use:
>
> IPCop: http://sourceforge.net/projects/ipcop
> Smoothwall: http://www.smoothwall.org

Which of these supports local DNS definitions?  I've set up Smoothwall.
It dishes out DHCP addresses and sets itself as DNS server for the local
network.  However, it doesn't seem to have a web interface to define
entries in the local DNS tables, like "A" and "MX" records, or have I
missed it?

Do esmith or IRCop let you define local DNS tables easily?

Or is there a better way to do this.

\\/