xemacs21.1 and javaIDE

Lynn David Newton plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 4 May 2002 07:45:42 -0700

Ron,

  rp> Can anyone walk me thru the process of adding a
  rp> java + C IDE to my xemacs 21.1?

Maybe no one answered because no one understands what
you're trying to do. I had to check an acronyms list to
figure out that maybe by IDE you mean "Indegrated
Development Environment", but I thought that was a
Motorola-exclusive usage. The ususal use of "IDE" has
to do with the disk drive bus type.

If what you're looking for is an XEmacs programming
mode for Java and C, it's pretty much built in,
although there are infinite ways to enhance and
configure it. Visit a file called helloworld.java and
you are thrown into java-mode, which is an extension of
cc-mode. It gives you fontification (colors),
indentation, syntax matching and checking, and all the
other sorts of goodies that programmers need.

Long ago cc-mode was developed for the purpose of doing
C programming, but through the years has been enhanced
so that it now covers several languages. (I'm quite
sure it's the same in GNU Emacs as well. cc-mode is one
of the most long-standing packages.)

In XEmacs execute C-h i (M-x info) and select the menu
choice CC Mode, which discusses the whole mode and all
the details regarding the various languages it covers.

BTW, 21.1.14 is the current "stable" branch, but 21.4
has been out and as stable as can be for many months. I
can't imagine what more needs to be done to it to make
it better. Beta development is at 21.5.6.

Anyhow, I hope that's what you are attempting to
accomplish.

--
Lynn David Newton
Phoenix, AZ