Debian for dual-processor systems?

Austin Godber plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 2 May 2002 11:54:46 -0700

Whether a distribution "supports" a dual processor machine depends on the
kernel.  If you build your own kernel, then you must choose the SMP option
and the OS (and applications) will run on both processors.  If you do not
compile the kernel with the SMP option, everything will simply run on a
single processor.
	Some programs may not be aware of the SMP capabilities, and some
may be written to specifically take advantage of the dual processor
capabilities.  As I recall, when I first got my SMP machine, I had to
patch top to make it aware of both processors.  That was years ago, and I
don't think the story is the same.
	Oh, and for kernel compiles (or any compile for that matter) if
you type:
make bzImage MAKE="make -j2"

This will run two compilers at once so you can take advantage of both of
your processors.  This is why I have enjoyed 4 minute kernel compiles on
my dual celeron 400 for years.

Austin