Name resolution in a Windows environment

Scott Henderson plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 3 May 2002 02:20:12 -0400 (EDT)

As der hans said, proxy settings affect only your ability to
browse out to the Internet (you can proxy other things, but
usually in a small office environment http is about it).
Basically, if you have a "proxy-capable" browser, you just put
the proxy server info into your browser configuration somewhere,
(e.g. tell it the name or IP of the proxy server, what ports will
be proxied for http (us. 80, of course), sometimes you enter some
other ports and protocols, as per your environment) and then
------ when you try to pull up www.microsoft.com (shame!), the
browser goes to the proxy and says "Hey, can I have the
www.microsoft.com page?" The browser says "Sure, you just sit
here and wait.  I'll pretend I'm you, look it up in DNS on the
Internet, go get the page, and pass it to you when it comes in.
microsoft.com will never even know it was you who asked for it.
They'll just see my IP address."  Your browser says "Sure" and
waits till the page comes in.  It goes on like that.  Usually
there are settings that allow your browser to know NOT to use the
proxy for any pages on an internal web server, but to go direct.
FYI, the standard biz office proxies do not do any serious
anonymizing, so the cookies, etc, actually come in to your
browser. Just your IP is hidden behind the proxy.

>Okay now after getting some sleep I'm thinking perhaps I'm not
>connecting to their proxy server correctly (I know this could
>effect my browser but would it effect my networking? ping
>etc...?). What should I look at to see if my proxy settings are
>correct. Bringing up netconfig didn't have a proxy option so I'd
>rather look at the config files.

Tired of Microsoft Windows?
Visit http://www.lycoris.com!