locked out of my box

Mike plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 2 May 2002 11:16:38 -0500

Whenever I need to get into a box (lost root pw, hosed a config file, etc)
I just throw in an old Debian boot floppy, and mount the partition
with the files I need to fix. Edit them, save them, reboot.

On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 08:55:17AM -0700, Patrick Fleming EA wrote:
 On Thu, 2 May 2002, VB wrote:

 > On Thu, May 02, 2002 at 12:14:11AM -0700, Kevin Brown wrote:
 > > If you have a rescue floppy or a normal boot floppy with lilo you can do:
 > >
 > > linux single
 > >
 > > should put you in single user, no password mode.
 >

 > That was my understanding too.  But it is not working.  This is
 > basically a default install of RH 7.1 with ssh server.  It's just a
 > file server.  All of my backups are on it. "boot single" and "boot -s"
 > return "could not find kernel image:boot".  Any thoughts here or am I
 > off to toms root boot?
 >
 > Thank you,
 >
 > Eric

 The kernel image is not usually named 'boot'. If you are using lilo (I
 don't remember if that is the default on 7.1- but it's running on my 7.1+
 box)then when the graphical login comes up <ctrl>X brings a text logon.
 <tab> will show you the name of all images that lilo knows about. Type the
 name of your default image(the first one)
 #image single
 and you should boot to single user mode. I thinnk that You could also type
 #image 1 and get into runlevel 1.

 HTH

 > > > ok i goofed; i have a typo in /etc/inittab.  guess i set the run level to 9 instead of 3.  that's what happens when you learn 10-key on two different keyboard layouts.
 > > >
 > > > on this machine, i normally  boot from a floppy to hda5; i.e., lilo is not installed.  but booting here fails because obviously run level 9 does not exist.  "boot -s" i thought would work around so I could fix /etc/inittab, but it is not booting into single mode. not sure why.   how can i get to that file to fix it?

 Patrick Fleming, EA
 http://myhdvest.com/patrickfleming
 Licensed to represent taxpayers
 before Exam, Appeals, and Conference