Networking

Trent Shipley plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 22:45:39 -0700

OK.

The @#$% machine (running Progeny Debian) finds eth0.

I can't get the lan configured so I wipe the drives.  This time I do the
network installation while installing the Progeny Debian OS on the P1 system.

Giving it the name PostgresTest,
inet: 192.168.100.50
mask: 255.255.255.0

All goes well until the end when...
   SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable.

Frustrated, I reboot.

In the boot messages:
   SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable.

A light on the card comes on.
The lights on the switch come on.

% ifconfig eth0 inet 192.168.100.50
   SIOCSIFFLAGS: Resource temporarily unavailable.
%

The NIC is el-cheapo no-name hardware.  It is not removable.
     Please tell me I don't need to go browsing through the linux hardware
compatibility lists.