Beating a dead horse - Consumer Broadband and Digital Television Promotion Act

Jim plug-discuss@lists.plug.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 13:11:46 -0700

I agree with everything you say, Alan, and have but one comment to make.

Heretofore, it has been the responsibility of the copyright owner to protect
the material that they own the copyright for.  The MPAA and the RIAA have
done little, if anything to protect their copyrighted material, except bitch
to their well-paid-for Congressmen and Senators and having the copyright law
changed to extend well beyond its original intent.

This legislation, aside from assuming that all digital users are pirates and
eliminating the "fair use" doctrine completely, forces the government, the
technology companies to enforce the copyrights.  The RIAA and the MPAA have
tons of money to buy the legislation that they want.  The American people
will again be raped by the companies that have the power and finances to do
whatever they want.

::jumping off my soap box::